Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hike Up Greylock

I have been here at Hallmark for about a week now. Trevor and I had a couple days to explore the area, and see some neat things. One of the things we did was to hike up to the top of the highest point in Mass. (Mt Greylock). It was a 4 mile hike, which we did not really realize when we started, and took us about 3 1/2 hours.... which includes one or two stops in order to explore a bit.


A little shop along the way. They sold some little knick-knacks, and some tasty looking preserves and such. The old man that ran the store was really nice and knew a lot about cellphones for an older gentleman. 


Trevor standing on a large rock. It was at the bottom of this waterfall type area along the trail, and probably my favorite area along the trail that we hiked. I slipped on one of the rocks and fell flat on my back, luckily sparing my camera, and not getting too wet. 


Trevor on a different rock around the small falls. It is difficult to show how neat the area actually was.

This is what we found when we reached the top. You go inside that tower and then climb to the top to look out. On Trevor's phone it said we were at 3421 ft. I guess I was a little higher though, since I am quite a bit taller than Trevor..... hah.

The ceiling on the bottom level when walking into the tower.

Trevor and the ceiling.

A view from the top with some wildflowers and smaller mountains in the distance.

A couple in the grass. There were actually several people up on the top, including a couple groups that seemed to be college students. The road to the top has been closed for, I think, about two years, but they are hoping to have it opened real soon. The AT also crosses this mountain, so we saw a few people that we assume were hiking that.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to post some pictures from Hallmark and around from were we are living.

No comments: